1930 — 1939

Winners Ryan Cup and Dewar Shield
Back Row: C. Reid (patron). L. Churcliouse, J. Ch\Jl’L‘llUUhL‘. F. Anderson, H. A. McPhee (hon. secretary).
Middle Row: C. /\. Gray (coach), G. Sielleri, M. Knowles, W. Taylor, P. Burgess, C. W. Jensen, W. F. Knowles
Frunt Row: M. Campbell, J. W. Denby, ll. H. Trapp, K. H. Reid (captain), F. Fit7.gerald, T. Lipinski, T. Nickorima.
Absent: D. Oliver, S. Reid.

These six teams combined to give another win for the Dewar Shield, a feat that was repeated in the following 2 seasons, when the Seniors also won the championship. In 1930, Bill Irvine was the last club ‘cap’ as he played for New Zealand against British Isles. Keith Reid represented North Island in 1929 and 1931.

In 1932, there are several interesting comments in the “Wairarapa Daily News”, referring to a match versus Dalefield it says, ‘There was no quarter given among the forwards. Both sides mixed it very willingly, and at times the ball seemed to be of secondary consideration’. And again of a match versus Masterton, ‘There was far too much talking on the field. In fact the Masterton team stopped talking only twice during the match—the final ten minutes of each spell when they were too puffed for further speech’. And again, ‘The players should take pity on the spectators. Time was when the spectators could comment about the game as it progressed. There was 50 much talk on the field last Saturday that the spectators could not hear themselves speak’.

In 1932 also, the Carterton forwards became known as the ‘Red Devils‘ with newspaper reports stating that they were everywhere. So good was their work that at the end of the season, Carterton was level with Red Star. These two played off for the championship. The match resulted in an 8 all draw, so the teams were re-drawn for the lst of October. There was great jubilation locally when Carterton won. Red Star had appeared to score, but leading referee Jim Blake as line umpire, had his flag raised. Referee Bert McKenzie consulted the line umpire, and after discussion, ruled out the try. Carterton had kicked the ball out, ‘Stars’ took a quick throw in and swept on to score. Jim Blake kept his flag raised as he considered the ball not thrown in from the correct spot. Red Star protested to the Rugby Union on the technicality that the line umpire had his flag raised ‘at the wrong spot’.

The appeal was forwarded to the N.Z.R.F.U., which in rum forwarded it to the International Board. This body gave its verdict in favour of Red Star. Although we lost the championship, we, along with Red Star, are the only Wairarapa clubs to appear in the book “Case Laws of Rugby Union”. It is perhaps ironical that the referee, Bert McKenzie, was in this season president of the N.Z. Referees’ Association. I-Ie had a long career refereeing from 1920-40, during which he controlled 12 Ranfurly Shield matches, a record that stands in our Centennial year. He also won his N.Z. referees’ blazer when he controlled the match New Zealand versus Australia in 1936.

1932 also saw a unique event in the club’s history.

The annual subscriptions were lowered from the previous season, not because the club had too much money, but because, with the depression, players could not afiord to pay more. Fifth and sixth grades disappeared for the same reason.

In 1933, although no championships were won, the Clubs teams did well enough to win the Dewar Shield again. The Seniors again played well and by defeating Featherston 9-5 qualified to play Gladstone in the final. In the final, Carterton won l5—3. This year I933 does not appear on the banner. The match was notable in that a Wellington referee was called in for the match. The Fourth grade also won the championship in this year and once again, the Dewar Shield was retained. This was repeated in 1935-36-37-38. In these years, the club was truly top Wairarapa Club.

The Seniors won the championship in I934 and 1938, the Juniors in I934 and 1938, the Thirds in I935.

The record of club teams in 1938 is:
Played Won Drew Lost
Senior 10 9 1 —
Junior – —
Third – 9
Fourth 3 —

That brought the club to its Diamond Jubilee. Some 250 past and present members assembled for the occasion. The members assembled for a street march led by the Carterton Pipe Hand with the Silver Band half-way down the procession, the parade set off. As it started, so did the rain. Undeterred, the parade continued till it turned off Belvedere Road to go into the Showgrounds when according to the news report, ‘The rain, falling more heavily, caused the parade to be abandoned as members took refuge in a nearby hostelry‘. As was to be expected, the game of the day was against Greytown. As in 1929, both teams had one player each absent, George Brown (Carterton) and Rex Brunton (Greytown) being absent with the Wairarapa team playing Bush. The match was drawn 3 points all.

At its conclusion, the Reid family presented a cup for annual competition between these two old clubs. For his services, Charlie had in this era, been elected a Life Member of the club. The only other unmentioned recipient of this was Wally Hart.

The l940 annual meeting was told, the Diamond Jubilee had been looked forward to with great interest. All functions were well attended and the minute attention to oo:=o $715719

Winners Ryan Cup, Redmond Cup, Reid Cup, Dewar Shield
Back Row: E. Holmes, A. Matheson, N. Trziss, O. Rasmussen, H. Matheson, G. Brown.
Middle Row: B. Catt (club captain), C. Jensen, J. Walker, M.Hurley, D. Aluxancler, T. Harp, W. Crowley, J. Fitzgerald
(line un1pirt:).
Front Row: G. Stcllcrt (hon. secretary), G. Udy, D. Smith (vice captain), F. Fitzgerald (coach and captain), J.Corlctt, A. Reading, A. Reid (president).
In Front: T Lipiriski, J. Tauchcr.

detail assured success. Owing to the adverse weather conditions, all matches, except the Carterton versus Greytown match were cancelled, as was a Gala to be held in conjunction with the Jubilee.

After the wet match, a Smoke Concert was held in the Tea Kiosk. A Church Parade was held on Sunday and the jubilee concluded with a Jubilee Ball.

ln this twenty years, the club had achieved a lot.

Much credit must go to the committees. The various presidents from 1920 were: l. Hodder, W. G. Waterson, W. A. Hart (2 years), T. V. Moore, A. Hall, R. J. Gayfer, A. E. Reid, J. C. Harp (2 years), C. Jensen snr., W. F.Knowles, V. L. Robinson, D. H. I-latton, H. Moore, G. A.Vincent, C. A. Gray, C. Manley, A. E. Reid (2 years), and the secretaries W. A. Hart (3 years), A. D. Barr, T. Curran and A. E. Reid, A. E. Reid (2 years), H. A. McPhee (l0 years), R. J. Whiteman, G. Steffert (2 years).

Credit must also go to the Ladies Committees. It was often said that the strength of the club could be gauged by the strength of the ladies committee. Sixty years had been a long time, the club had come a long way and become recognised as a leader in the field of Rugby.