1950 — 1959

Winners of Wairarapa Championship, Seven-a-Side, Reid and
Redmond Cups and Dewar Shield
Back Row: N. Desmond, B. McPhee, J. McKenzie, K. Parker.
‘ l. Blake, Q. Dcsmund, l. Renal], l.
‘lhird Row: I. Ellison,
Setond Row: J. Russell (masseur), M. Parker (president), B
Desmond, G. Parker (vice captain), A. Blake (captain)
L. McPl-lee, J. Blake (patron), G. Udy (coach),
Front Ru“: J. Berry, S. Walsh, L. Fitzgerald, R. Hopping, B
Butcher, R. Lenihan.

In this period, the Wairarapa Rugby Union’s annual meeting spent much time on the advisability of forcing Carterton to field two senior teams. It was argued that with the seniors so strong and a junior team always in the top bracket, two even senior teams would provide better competition. It says much for the club spirit of the junior teams that few left the club to play for other senior teams. A further defeat by Masterton in 1952 followed by a return match against the same team provided the talking points for the season. In the return match played at Carterton, thirteen of the Carterton team received cautions

and the team received four penalties and had twenty-seven awarded against them. Despite this, they managed to win 14-6. In those days, referees awarded points for neatness of dress, punctuality and behaviour on the field. This match was one of the very few where the referee awarded maximum points, Carterton’s score being 100 per cent.

In this season, the committee began the preliminary work for the clubrooms. Fund raising had been going on for some years, largely by score cards made each week by Ivan and Dot Blake. Thirty bob for threepence does not seem much, but week by week the total grew, Players were the main sellers and very few of the cards were unsold.

At the beginning of the 1953 season, work on the Clubrooms began with the first priority being the changing rooms, kitchen and committee rooms. Progress was steady, work being done mainly on Sundays and when electricity was installed, at night. To aid funds, Carterton played University A of Wellington and suffered defeat 13 points to 6. Despite this setback, the seniors, this season, with Alan Blake as coach, won the championship. By the time of the last game, they had not had a try scored against them, but in this last game against Marist, two tries were scored.

During the summer of 1953, the New Zealand team toured Great Britain. Included in the team were four members of the Wellington University team. At Easter 1954, University, with four current All Blacks, played Carterton at Greytown. The result? A win to Carterton 6 points to 3. Ron Jarden remarked after the match, ‘They play their club matches as hard as you‘d expect a Test Match’. The players had pride in themselves, their fitness and their club. Despite their win, the championship was lost. 1946-53, eight seasons, is still a New Zealand record for successive championship wins.

The clubrooms were moving al°“g Slowly and ii Soon became evident that voluntary labour could not complljfi the task. The building of the hall was let to Kings m” who completed the task in 1955. To Ray Barlow EOE5 he credit of ‘Buy a Pile’. l-le donated the money for one of t e piles and the idea soon caught on. All the piles were ‘sold’ and when these ran out, floor space was also sold. The rooms were finally opened on 16th April, 1955 and at last the clubs had a home.

This was not used as fully as it could have been. For many years, the only use it had on a Saturday was as a changing room. Other activities to be held in it were euchre and occasional dances. It says much for the efforts of the club that the rooms were paid off by 1960.

On the playing fields, although 1955 provided another championship win, pickings were fairly lean. (After the previous ten years, anything other than a championship win was of minor significance). The club teams managed to reach the top three in most grades, but the Dewar Shield had gone. The points to be gained had been so altered that only teams with strong college and primary grades could win the trophy.

In I980. the club honoured the retirement of Alan Blake with a festival match. Alan had played for Carterton. (apart for war service) since 1940. A large crowd witnessed the match played in beautiful weather. In his career Alan had played 175 first class matches, at that time a record for New Zealand.

This twenty years finished well on this note. Credit must go to the presidents, Sinct: I939: A. E. Reid (2 years), C. A. Gray (3 years), G. Steffert, G. Udy, M. Parker (2 years), F. Harrington (2 years), C. W. Jensen (2 years). I. G. Blake, G. Udy and T. Geangc. 5ecretaries were few.

Much credit is due to their sterling efforts; J. Taucher, H.J. McKenzie, M. Kiddie, G. Steffert, G. L. Chatwin (5 years), M. L. Fitzgerald (8 years).

For their services to the club: C. Groube, R. G. Kemble, E. McKenzie, P. Reid, C. A. Gray, W. Spooner (snr.), W.Pinfold, F. Harrington, M. J. Parker, C. Manley, K. Reid, L. Berry, G. Stefiert, H. J. Blake, I-I. J. McKenzie, G. Udy, I. G. Blake, B. H. Gayfer, T. E. Geange, P. Olliver, H.Matheson, L. Jensen and W. Taylor were elected Life Members.